Antisocial behaviour

Antisocial Behaviour (ASB) is defined as ‘anything that causes (or is likely to cause) harassment alarm and/or distress to persons not of the same household’. This means any behaviour that effects your quality of life in a negative way which is caused by a person you do not live with.

ASB may involve crime, but it’s not always the case. It could also affect more than one household.

Types of ASB include:

  • Noise nuisance
  • Verbal abuse
  • Gathering in groups
  • Damage to property
  • Rubbish or litter lying about
  • Being drunk or rowdy in public
  • Graffiti
  • People using or dealing drugs

Examples of things that aren’t classed as ASB include:

  • Children playing football
  • Neighbour dispute
  • Parking issues

Our Anti-Social Behaviour Policy outlines what we class as anti-social behaviour and goes through the ways we tackle it in the community. 

Reporting antisocial behaviour

Antisocial behaviour incident form

Note: Questions marked by * are mandatory


Resolving ASB issues

If you are unfortunate enough to experience issues, we will always try and help you resolve them. However, there are a few things you can try yourself:

  • Approach the person at the heart of the issue in a friendly manner to discuss the problem - it may be they are not aware that they are causing a problem.
  • Always call the police if you have been assaulted, harrassed or threatened in anyway - you do not have to tolerate violence. Likewise, call the police if your property has been damaged or stolen. We work very closely with the police.
  • Keep a diary of incidents keeping as much detail as possible - this may be needed for evidence.
  • You could also contact a solicitor, Citizens Advice or Shelter if you are facing problems of nuisance and harassment. Your solicitor or adviser may be able to help you apply for an injunction against those responsible or send an appropriate warning letter to them.

If matters don’t get better, we may be able to offer further support. In circumstances where problems are proved to being caused by one of our tenants, we can issue formal warnings, serve them with injunctions and evict them from the property if necessary.

Noise nuisance

The law says that people should put up with a ‘reasonable’ amount of noise being caused by others as part of their normal daily activities. As always in antisocial behaviour matters, you should try to talk to the person creating the noise and tell them about how it is affecting you.

But if that fails, you can report it to us and we can offer further support. Many of the noise complaints we deal with relate to loud music, televisions, barking dogs or machinery – we can use our powers to try and resolve these.

However, complaints about noisy children, banging of doors, and late-night arrivals and departures do not lend themselves to enforcement action and you may need support from other agencies. Again, we can help and support you with this.


While we try to treat all complaints in confidence, there may be occasions when we will be required to release information to third parties, especially when we may be required to take legal proceedings. It is also possible that the person causing the alleged nuisance will guess who has made the complaint. If informal approaches fail, it may be necessary for you to give evidence in legal proceedings.

You should consider before making a complaint, that although our procedures are generally effective it can occasionally aggravate the situation.

If you do wish to make a complaint you can contact Acis by either phone, email or through this form.

If you do register a complaint, a letter will be sent (normally within five working days) to the person causing the alleged nuisance, this may have the effect of stopping it. You will also be sent a form to enable you to record details of the nuisance. 

If after 14 days the nuisance still continues, you are asked to return the completed record sheet when filled out with times, dates and details of incidents within that period which have caused you a nuisance. Such a record of events is very important, as this provides evidence in demonstrating the extent of nuisance should any legal proceedings be necessary. It also useful for the investigating officer to establish a pattern of the incidents. After that you will then be contacted by the investigating officer to discuss an appropriate course of action to investigate your complaint further.

Investigations may be carried out either by visits or by means of a tape recording system that may be installed in your home. If the officer is not satisfied that there is a nuisance, you will be advised on the action you can take yourself.

If the officer is satisfied about the nuisance, a legal notice will be served requiring that the nuisance is stopped or restricted. Any further nuisance would be a contravention of the notice and legal proceedings would be likely to follow. You would be required to give a Statement of Evidence and, if necessary, to appear in court.

Once you have made a complaint, it will be passed onto the relevant Safer Communities Officer to investigate, who will then take the best course of action for your case and will keep you updated.

If you feel that your complaint has not been appropriately responded to, there is a process called The Community Trigger, which brings together partner agencies such as the police and local authorities to investigate your case and to make sure it has been dealt with properly. We may also carry out a review.

Hate crime

Hate crime might be based on many things, including:

  • Disability
  • Race
  • Ethnicity
  • Nationality
  • Religion or belief
  • Sexual orientation
  • Gender

If you are a victim of, or a witness to, a hate crime or incident, please report it.

If something is happening now, ring the Police on 999. If something has happened and does not require an urgent response, ring 101. Alternatively, you can call Stop Hate UK on 0800 138 1625.