We know using a scooter can be vital for many of our residents and we are also aware that most of our independent living schemes were designed and built before lots of people started using mobility scooters.
The use of scooters presents fire and health and safety risks for users and other people in the building from things like fire charging batteries or blocking fire escapes.
We want to keep you safe and therefore we are looking at our approach to use of mobility scooters.
If you want to keep a scooter, you need to seek permission from us first.
- For us to consider your request, this is based on:
- Whether we have a suitable area for you to store it (you may store it in your flat if you have space). There are a set number of spaces to store scooters. If we do not have space, we will not give you permission to keep a scooter.
- You comply with government guidance on mobility scooters
- You have insurance cover against things such as accidents and injuries
- You have had the scooter electrically tested in the last 12 months and it is safe
- Your scooter fits through internal and external entrances
- You agree to only charge your scooter between 8am and 6pm and no longer than the manufacturer’s recommended time
- For new requests to keep a scooter, we will be charging for this facility and there will be a separate license for this
- Scooters driven in the scheme should go no faster than walking speed
- Scooters should not go in the lifts
- If we find scooters in areas they shouldn’t be stored, we will ask for them to be removed. If they are not removed, we will remove them ourselves
Our priority is to keep you safe. We know many of you value using a scooter; it’s important that we reduce any risks which is why we plan to introduce these changes
Please fill out the form below with any comments or feedback you may have.